History

The Old School House was built in the 16th century to provide education for those who could afford to pay. The school remained until the present one was built in 1865 when it became a shop and bakery before becoming a private dwelling.
The land upon which the present school was built was granted by William Willoughby George Hurt Sitwell in 1865. The first Schoolmaster to be appointed to the new St Mary’s National School in 1867, was a 24 years old gentleman named Mr Henry Evans. The school was extensively remodelled in 1966 when additional teaching space and a kitchen was added enabling meals to be cooked on the premises. An extension added in 2013 provides additional facilities for Key Stage 1 pupils and was opened by our local Member of Parliament Philip Dunne.